Sunday, November 14, 2010

Remembrance Day

I was asked to speak at Church for the Remembrance Day service, this is what I said.

These are my two younger brothers


As we were growing up they were always around for cuddles and kisses. I remember the older of my younger brothers had a favourite doll called "My Buddy" he took that doll with him everywhere. The younger one was like my very own doll. I took him everywhere I could. We played, fought and laughed together like kids do.

These are my brothers now, all grown up



I know them as Colin, on the left, and Andy on the right. But in this photo they are Sergeant and Trooper Oakley, both members of the Royal Canadian Dragoons.
Right now Andy is in Afghanistan he is a driver of a LAV 4 which is an armoured recognisance vehicle, much like a tank.

This photo was taken in May when Andy had just arrived in Kandahar. Colin's tour was finished and was getting ready to come home to his wife and kids. Just imagine his excitement finally leaving and getting to come home to his family while at the same time knowing that he leaves his baby brother behind in a war zone.

I have been asked how it feels to have brothers in Afghanistan. That is a hard question to answer because of course I would much rather have them home.

Then I think about what he is doing;

  • As Lucas and I are at the library choosing bags full of books to borrow for free, I think of the children who do not have that freedom
  • When Ava is sick and I take her to the doctor, I think of the mothers cuddling babies as bombs explode over their homes

So how do I feel? I feel proud! I am proud that my brothers are willing to risk their own lives so that others may one day have the freedoms we enjoy and often take for granted.

War is always such a political topic but regardless of whether you are for the war or not it does not change the fact that there are Canadian boys, men and women overseas fighting and dying, an that one of those young men is my brother.

He is always in my prayers, I pray for his safety but I also pray that he comes home unaffected by the horrible things he sees daily.

All of our soldiers need our prayers and are thankful to have the support.

2 comments:

L-train said...

Good work, proud you spoke for your brothers today!

Unknown said...

Very well said Shannon. Good job! Thanks to all the men & women who are fighting for our freedom! We too pray that they will come home safe!